Re: Debian target audience ( was Re: Open Source Supported Graphics Cards)

George Borisov wrote:
> I can not speak about other people

And yet, as I read your comments, I almost thought it was me speaking.

> I use Debian because it is an operating system I can
> _trust_ and it is 100% free as in speech and beer (to me, the
> speech bit is actually more important.)

Ditto.

> It is also more powerful tha[n] Windows, easier to administer properly and does not tell me
> to "contact the network administrator" when there is a problem.

Yep.

> Just for the record: no, I don't know any Perl (unfortunately)
> and yes, I think the command line is superior to GUIs for most
> administrative tasks.

That's me.

> Yes [Windows] is becoming easier, but at the expense of extra
> restrictions (and the fact that is something does actually go
> wrong, it is much, much harder to fix, even if you are well above
> the average skill level.)

Absolutely!! I turn down so much money that I could be making fixing
people's broken Windows setup, because I've learned that if I charge
what I'm worth the time it takes to fix it is way more than a new
computer is worth (which is just a vicious cycle) and I don't want to
"gouge" people so I just generally turn them down (and tell them to save
themselves a lot of headaches by getting a Mac), or that the setup
simply can't be fixed and all you can do is wipe/reinstall. Windows is a
horrible OS from the standpoint of maintenance and repair. Horrible.

--
Kent