Re: Jabber network vs. multi-protocol IM clients

Paul Johnson wrote:
> Hmm, what's the deal with the kopete package version being radically wrong
> then?

kopete is still just part of kdenetwork package, except that now they
decided that they want to make swifter development cycle than KDE itself so
they declared independence. Except that KDE-Qt Debian team is overloaded
and packaging kopete is not exactly piece of cake, so there is no available
package yet.

> How long have multiple-IM clients been around now?  6 or 8 years?  Even

I think that kopete is actually quite younger -- they begun to work on it
somewhere in KDE 3.* cycle.

> That makes the situation that much sadder, really.

Why?

> That would be a client issue, the network isn't sending those messages.
> Case in point, Psi 0.10 doesn't tell you when others join or leave
> chatgroups and IRC channels, Psi 0.11 does unless you've just joined, then
> it waits until the list stops filling up before it starts giving chat
> status inline.

I talked about that with some devs on jdev MUC, and the conclusion was that
you would need to make substantial changes to mod_irc and no-one is willing
to do that--Erlang and all that stuff.

> Client issue, I can join #debian no problem, though with a little lag
> until Psi finishes adding all users in the chat to the participants frame.

Can you write /join #debian in one IRC channel so that new tab with other
channel would open? That's what I meant.

>> 4) I can add participants to my roster and check their status
>
> OK, these could be worked out better, I agree, and this would be a server
> side problem. I would like to see ejabberd's mod_irc allow you to register
> with it so it'll identify for you, and pass people's status back a-la the
> other transports to obsolete protocols.

Which unfortunately leads back to mod_irc and Erlang.

> OTOH, IRC is starting to take the same hit the other obsolete networks
> are, so I'm not sure this will even be an issue in five years...

What do you mean?

Thanks for reply,

Matěj

http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/, Jabber: ceplma@jabber.cz
23 Marion St. #3, (617) 876-1259, ICQ 132822213

I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying
I approved of it.
      -- Mark Twain