Re: Jabber network vs. multi-protocol IM clients

Paul Johnson wrote:
> That's odd, Debian's 3.5.3 version of Kopete still doesn't do it.  0.12 <
> 3.5.3...

I said, that it has not been packaged for Debian yet. (3.5.3 is version of
KDE, not Kopete which is there in version 0.10).

> I don't have a problem with it taking advantage of kparts, it's something
> I wish psi did.

And yes, before I switched to kopete 0.12 (0.10 was with Jabber really
unusable) I was using psi.

> I'm just saying the client-side approach to multi-protocol
> support is ass-backwards in general and usually results in a client that
> whose support of half a dozen clients is the world's least funny joke,

I don't use any other client than Jabber and IRC (all legacy IM systems are
through transports).

> Multi-protocol clients violate the "do one thing and do it well" design
> principal.
  ^^^^^^^^^
  principle

However, I think that this partially a matter of definition. What is the
client? If you look at a client as library which provides translation from
one particular protocol to the shared user interface, then kopete/Jabber
client is getting pretty good, and that kopete/shared interface was pretty
good for some time already. Of course, it cannot be just one way street
(shared user interface must accommodate different functions of different
protocols), but it seems to me that it is not impossible to create decent
multi-protocol IM program (and, no, I agree with you, gaim is not the one).

But this would be a long discussion. Try to thing about kopete as a
collection of individual clients using shared user interface, and things
are then quite different.

>> b) IRC over Jabber (irc.netlab.cz among many others) kind of stinks --
>> you can use it if necessary, but even kopete client is much better than
>> that.
>
> Quantify please.  I use the IRC transport on a daily basis without issue.

1) OK, when entering IRC over true IRC client, I don't get 49 messages about
status of individual participants in the discussion (that's the current
situation at kopete%irc.freenode.net@irc.kdetalk.net).
2) Things like /join #debian work.
3) I can have automatic commands (/msg Nickserv identify ###) on connection.
4) I can add participants to my roster and check their status

I am not saying that principally it is not possible to do this with
IRC-transport, but I haven't seen it done yet. For me IRC native client in
kopete Just Works(TM), IRC-transport is useable, but not pleasant.

Best,

Matěj

http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/, Jabber: ceplma@jabber.cz
23 Marion St. #3, (617) 876-1259, ICQ 132822213

A fool-proof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge
block of marble; then you chip away everything that doesn't look
like an elephant.