Re: Jabber network vs. multi-protocol IM clients

On Tuesday 25 July 2006 07:34, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:
> > Kopete won't let you do service discovery,
>
> Not true with 0.12.

That's odd, Debian's 3.5.3 version of Kopete still doesn't do it.  0.12 <
3.5.3...

> > GAIM's just plain annoying (why does it open new windows for what should
> > be an ignored line in STDERR?) and doesn't have service discovery
>
> I said politely that "it is not that strict about Jabber standards" ;-)

It doesn't matter what protocol, GAIM is equally obnoxious on all of them.   I
don't need or want it to raise to front and harass me because it's
automatically reconnecting or because it feels the need to randomly tell me
the progress of something nobody cares about.  STFU and just do it, GAIM!

> > If you  want Jabber, get a real Jabber client, use the transports to deal
> > with the obsolete networks instead.
>
> Two problems:
>
> a) embedding into KDE (connections with KAddressBook, KMail, etc.) -- I can
> understand that somebody dislikes kopete just because of that, but not me.
> Cool 100% Jabber KDE client would be nice, but there isn't such thing (yes,
> I know about psi).

I don't have a problem with it taking advantage of kparts, it's something I
wish psi did.  I'm just saying the client-side approach to multi-protocol
support is ass-backwards in general and usually results in a client that
whose support of half a dozen clients is the world's least funny joke,
whereas if you let the server handle the connections to the obsolete networks
(AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, IRC) you get a client that does one protocol really
really well, and transports that work increasingly well over time.
Multi-protocol clients violate the "do one thing and do it well" design
principal.  There's no way to fix this critical bug in all multiple protocol
clients without just discontinuing them entirely.

> b) IRC over Jabber (irc.netlab.cz among many others) kind of stinks -- you
> can use it if necessary, but even kopete client is much better than that.

Quantify please.  I use the IRC transport on a daily basis without issue.

--
Paul Johnson
Jabber: Because it's time to move forward  http://ursine.ca/Ursine:Jabber