Re: Why?

On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 01:31:56PM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 12:27:15PM -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:
>
> > In many other facets of the install process questions are posed and
> > reasonable defaults are suggested yet a choice can be made.  I think
> > the same approach should be taken to a DE.
>
> Certainly the question could be "Would you prefer to use GNOME
> (screencapture) or KDE (screencapture) or something else?  If you don't
> know, just click OK."  (You'd have to have X already installed for this to
> work as I envision it, but you can certainly install X before picking a DE
> or rejecting both, which is what I do.)

This might be part of an advanced users, or of a customized install. For the first time user,
asking wheher they prefer gnome may seem like a question about fairy tale biases.

FWIW, until the recent changes in window behavior, I was a huge fan of the simplicity of
the gnome/metacity presentation. The current behavior, where window's that have new activity flash
in the bottom panel, is either unnecessarily distracting or frustratingly obfuscatory. The biggest
problem is that, within metacity, there is no way to recapture the Sarge preferences. There are other
window managers, but they seem to come with a specific look and feel. Also, in the past, getting rid
of a default WM in gnome was a little more painful that I would want.

Art Edwards