Re: Why?

* John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> [2006 Jul 12 07:05 -0500]:

> > Perhaps it is all well to introduce the rank newcomer and train them in
> >the GNOME way, but I have used a number of similar environments over the
> >years and KDE for a DE and IceWM for a simple WM suit me best.
>
> Change the default to KDE and an equal number of people will complain that
> it isn't Gnome (I use neither).  Perhaps it could be made easier to switch,
> but I see no reason to change the default.  Don't forget that many new
> users have never heard of KDE, Gnome, or a desktop manager.

In many other facets of the install process questions are posed and
reasonable defaults are suggested yet a choice can be made.  I think
the same approach should be taken to a DE.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"