x freeze with ATI driver and openoffice.

For a year or more I have noticed X freezes for 10-30 seconds on changing screen modes or starting. I haven't bothered doing much to investigate it since I don't Ctrl Alt +/- much, and can wait a bit on boot.

However it seems (on doing a testing update for the first time in months) that recent testing versions of openoffice are now triggering the same bug with nearly every new window it tries to draw. Opening the main window halts for 15 seconds, an open dialog box halts the computer another ~20!! And on it goes..

Changing to VESA driver makes it all usable again. I have a Compaq N160 laptop, with a "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon Mobility M6 LY"

Anyone come accross this? Running an up to date testing system.
Cheers.