Re: Debian stable & SATA drive

On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 20:23 -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 08:09:40PM -0500, Owen Heisler wrote:
> > I have a running system using Debian stable.  I want to use stable, but
> > am planning on changing my hard drive configuration to include SATA.
> > Sarge will detect drives on only half of the ports (two, but I need
> > three), but Etch will.  So I either use Etch/testing instead, wait for
> > Etch/stable to be released, or use some other alternative (but I am new
> > to Debian, so don't prefer this).  I will probably just wait for Etch to
> > be released.
>
> why don't you just roll your own kernel with SATA support? ISTM that
> the primary issue is SATA support, and with that done you're good to
> go. Except you won't get kernel updates from debian and will have to
> maintain the kernel until etch comes out. That, however, would be
> pretty similar I suppose to using a backported kernel. Is it possible,
> I wonder, to just compile the modules you need? are the kernel
> versions that different? I'm asking because I don't know.

I'd rather not play with kernels; I'm not that experienced.  I have
before, but it will work as well to wait for Etch to be released.

Compiling the necessary kernel modules would not work for me, I think,
because the root filesystem will on a RAID array on three SATA drives.
The /boot partition is on a PATA drive, however.

Note: I may disappear from the list for about a week.