Re: Debian stable & SATA drive

On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 05:38 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 09:53:15PM -0500, Owen Heisler wrote:

> > > If so, you might need to use the Etch (testing) installer, rather than
> > > the Sarge one (stable.) I have installed Sarge on a SATA machine before,
> > > but some people here have reported problems. (There were several threads
> > > on this in the last few months.)
> >
> > Okay, I managed to get this image downloaded after about 6 hours (dialup
> > is blazingly fast!):
> > http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/etch_di_beta2/amd64/iso-cd/debian-testing-amd64-netinst.iso
> >
> > ...and it worked!  But I want to use Debian stable.  This simplest "fix"
> > for this would be to wait until the applicable change makes it to Debian
> > stable.  I would like to know how long that will be, or what revision of
> > stable would include the change.  I am new to Debian and do not fully
> > understand the way development occurs, so I don't even know if it is
> > possible to answer this question.  Will it be the next release
> > (Etch/stable)?  Sarge was released in June of 2005, and releases take
> > 2-3 years (right?), so Etch won't be released until 2007... but maybe a
> > revision will fix the problem.
> >

> Look at
> http://www.debian.org/releases/
> for lots of official information.
>
> I, personally, run Sarge/Stable. If you want stability then wait.  As
> long as you don't mindlessly upgrade every few days *your* system *is*
> stable. But if you know that there are packages that you would like
> to use, but have not yet installed, the answer is more complicated.
>
> Look for a 'back port' of the package that you especially needed to
> get your system working. If you can find such, you can run a slightly
> un-Stable version of Stable, by installing Sarge and then installing
> that back-port. (Back-ports are not official parts of Stable, but they
> are configured during build to work with Stable.) A problem with
> stable software is that it generally works best with older hardware.

This doesn't really answer my question; maybe you misunderstood (didn't
understand my babbling).  I just want to know how long it will be
(date/release/revision) until Debian stable will work with the SATA in
my system.  As you can see above, the testing-amd64-netinst image worked
for me.  I am guessing that, since this image is "Etch", that it will be
after Etch is released that "Debian stable" will work for me (because it
will be Etch, then).  If that is true, is there any answer to when Etch
will be released?  Is it "any time now", as I have seen mentioned here
or, like I said before, 2-3 years after the previous release (after June
2007)?

Thanks.