Re: Debian stable & SATA drive

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 08:09:40PM -0500, Owen Heisler wrote:

> I have a running system using Debian stable.  I want to use stable, but
> am planning on changing my hard drive configuration to include SATA.
> Sarge will detect drives on only half of the ports (two, but I need
> three), but Etch will.  So I either use Etch/testing instead, wait for
> Etch/stable to be released, or use some other alternative (but I am new
> to Debian, so don't prefer this).  I will probably just wait for Etch to
> be released.

why don't you just roll your own kernel with SATA support? ISTM that
the primary issue is SATA support, and with that done you're good to
go. Except you won't get kernel updates from debian and will have to
maintain the kernel until etch comes out. That, however, would be
pretty similar I suppose to using a backported kernel. Is it possible,
I wonder, to just compile the modules you need? are the kernel
versions that different? I'm asking because I don't know.