Re: Debian stable & SATA drive

On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 09:53:15PM -0500, Owen Heisler wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 09:43 +0100, George Borisov wrote:
> > Owen Heisler wrote:
> > >
> > > Why doesn't Debian detect the drive?  More importantly, what can I do to
> > > make it detect it?  I have tried all (only two) of the parameters for
> > > the sata_via (or via_sata) module.
> >
> > Did you use "linux26" when installing?
> >
> > If so, you might need to use the Etch (testing) installer, rather than
> > the Sarge one (stable.) I have installed Sarge on a SATA machine before,
> > but some people here have reported problems. (There were several threads
> > on this in the last few months.)
>
> Okay, I managed to get this image downloaded after about 6 hours (dialup
> is blazingly fast!):
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/etch_di_beta2/amd64/iso-cd/debian-testing-amd64-netinst.iso
>
> ...and it worked!  But I want to use Debian stable.  This simplest "fix"
> for this would be to wait until the applicable change makes it to Debian
> stable.  I would like to know how long that will be, or what revision of
> stable would include the change.  I am new to Debian and do not fully
> understand the way development occurs, so I don't even know if it is
> possible to answer this question.  Will it be the next release
> (Etch/stable)?  Sarge was released in June of 2005, and releases take
> 2-3 years (right?), so Etch won't be released until 2007... but maybe a
> revision will fix the problem.

Look at
http://www.debian.org/releases/
for lots of official information.

I, personally, run Sarge/Stable. If you want stability then wait.  As
long as you don't mindlessly upgrade every few days *your* system *is*
stable. But if you know that there are packages that you would like
to use, but have not yet installed, the answer is more complicated.

Look for a 'back port' of the package that you especially needed to
get your system working. If you can find such, you can run a slightly
un-Stable version of Stable, by installing Sarge and then installing
that back-port. (Back-ports are not official parts of Stable, but they
are configured during build to work with Stable.) A problem with
stable software is that it generally works best with older hardware.

Other people will surely have other, possibly better, advise.
HTH
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net