Re: External USB hard drive question

thestar@fussycoder.id.au wrote:

The usb drive will appear as something like /dev/sda, and is likely to
already have a partition table that contains a single partition,
/dev/sda1.  As you are talking about UFS and all those other file
systems, my guess is that this is a Mac OS X volume or something - which
does not use windows partition table formats (which linux does use), so
you may need to use fdisk or cfdisk.

So I guess it would make it easier if I formatted it FAT32 before connecting it (it is indeed a Mac OS X volume and the alternative formatting options, other than HFS+, are MS-DOS and UFS while still mounted on OS X).

You can format /dev/sda1 just like any other partition or device.
something similar to the following should work:
mkfs.ext3 -j /dev/sda1

Many thanks for the advice,

Cheers,

Phil.