Re: Recommendations for Low Resource System

Hal Vaughan wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 May 2006 16:11, Steve Lamb wrote:
>> Hal Vaughan wrote:
>>> I understand someone has written up a config file (forgot what the
>>> special setting files are called) for screen writing formatting on
>>> emacs, but, as I said, when I'm writing, I'm in a different mode,
>>> and I just can't remember all the keystroke commands.  It's hard to
>>> explain, but I can use vi or other console editors and have no
>>> issue while programming, but once I switch gears and start writing
>>> fiction, my brain works completely differently.  It must be a left
>>> brain/right brain thing.
>>     Ok, maybe I'm way off base here but why not take a different
>> tact.  Why not come up with a text based shorthand you can use (kinda
>> like Wiki-style), throw something together in Python/Perl/Ruby to
>> parse it out and reformat for later importation into OOo?  That way
>> you can skip the GUI completely and also don't need to remember
>> keystrokes, only your formatting shorthand.
>>
>>     Of course, this is just really a pared down idea of what $EDITOR
>> + LaTeX would offer but it is what I would do as I do prefer text
>> editing of all types in vim, know Python/Perl and don't know LaTeX.
>> :)
>
> That's a good idea and I've been considering it.  The issue is one of
> habit.  I haven't used Abiword in a while, but I know the main
> controls, like CTRL-S for save, cut, copy, and paste, will all be the
> same.  Ideally I want the keystrokes on the Amity to be as close to
> possible as they are on the other system.
>
> I won't know until I get it all setup, but I may end up doing something
> close to this, like using GEdit, and just using a shorthand for some
> indents, like ^1 for the wide margins, which, back when I used Word
> Perfect, was CTRL-1 for the macro.
>
> I've also considered something like that for emacs to handle formatting
> issues before a script is printed and just forcing myself to get used
> to it -- but while I'm doing that, the first script or two would be
> hell.
>
> I have one advantage: I'm not selling these scripts.  They're for the
> production company I'll be starting soon.  That means *I* get to define
> the format in my own, stubborn, selfish, pig-headed style. :-)

You could always reformat the text once you move the files back to
your desktop machine.

Embed little markup codes in the text and write a little parser in
Python to create the correct formatting.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Is "common sense" really valid?