Re: debian testing xorg fails on /dev/input/mice

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 15:21:39 +0200, Jon Jahren wrote:
> Hi all
> I've just installed debian etch on my main computer, but I get an error
> when trying to start X, it tells me:
> (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
>             No such file or directory
> (EE) Configured Mouse: cannot open input device
> (EE) PreInit failed for input device "Configured Mouse"
>  No core pointer
>
> And then goes on to give me a fatal error, and X doesn't start.
>
> What package would provide this driver for me? I have
> xserver-xorg-input-mouse and I also found this link:
> But no solution.
> Any help greatly appreciated, thanks

It looks more like a problem with the device itself. What kind of mouse
is it, serial (rather big, elongated connector), PS2 (round connector)
or USB (compact, flat connector)? Depending on that you might have
to load a kernel module to have the device created. (This should happen
automatically, but you never know...)

In any case, the first thing to check is if /dev/input/mice really
exists. "ls -l /dev/input" will tell you which devices are there. The
device might be called something like "/dev/input/mouse0", or it might
even be in the /dev directory directly as "/dev/psaux". You can test
likely candidates by reading their output directly. For example, to test
/dev/psaux you would run (as root):

cat /dev/psaux | hd

If you move the mouse you should see output scroll by for the correct
device. (Pressing CRTL + C stops this test.)

If you find a device which reacts to mouse movements you can run
"dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" (as Tom has already suggested) and
select this device in the mouse dialog. If this does not work or if you
get stuck somewhere else, then tell us what you observe when you try
what I outlined above and also post the output of the following command:

awk '/Section "InputDevice"/,/EndSection/' /etc/X11/xorg.conf

(This will print the part of the Xorg configuration file which specifies
 the input devices.)

--
Regards,
          Florian