Re: Newbie trying to install Debian...

Dov Oxenberg wrote:
Hello,

Please pardon me if I appear amateurish but I am new to Linux (long time Windows user) and am trying to get Debian installed and running.

Today I tried using the suggested netinst method but for some reason it is not working for me. I downloaded the ISO file, and extracted the file with WinImage then burned the extracted files to a CD. When I boot with the CD in the drive nothing happens and the system just boots to Windows. I even tried burning the ISO file itself to CD and booting with that but still no joy. What am I missing here? I did notice after extracting the files contained in the ISO image the .bin files are in subdirectories...do I need to move these to the root of the CD I wish to boot from?

I also am attempting to use the .jigdo method....but don't completely understand what I need to do once I have all six files.
Thanks for any help and guidance.

Cheers!

Hi,
Well, first welcome to Debian community!
I guess you have Nero on your Windows system. So, dont extract the net install iso you downloaded. Use Nero to burn the iso directly unto the CD. It's too long ago a used Nero, so I can't tell you exactly how to do it, I guess there is something like "copying data to CD" that you have to use. Them your CD will be bootable. You can also get a lot of help from this installation manual at:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/index.html.en

If you don't succed, come back here, someone more knowledgeable in windows staff may answer you.
Thierry