Re: Newbie trying to install Debian...

On Friday 12 May 2006 19:35, Dov Oxenberg wrote:
> Hello,
> Please pardon me if I appear amateurish but I am new to Linux (long time
> Windows user) and am trying to get Debian installed and running. Today I
> tried using the suggested netinst method but for some reason it is not
> working for me.  I downloaded the ISO file, and extracted the file with
> WinImage then burned the extracted files to a CD.  When I boot with the CD
> in the drive nothing happens and the system just boots to Windows.

That'll give you something that you can install from if you use a boot floppy
disk.  There should be a boot floppy image someplace (I've not installed from
floppies since I first installed this machine in 1997) that you can use a
program like rawrite.exe to write it to a floppy disk to boot from that and
install from CDROM.

> I even tried burning the ISO file itself to CD and booting with that but
> still no joy.

Did it even fit?

> What am I missing here?I did notice after extracting the files
> contained in the ISO image the .bin files are in subdirectories...do I need
> to move these to the root of the CD I wish to boot from?

No.  .bin is probably some form of disk image in this case.

> I also am attempting to use the .jigdo method....but don't completely
> understand what I need to do once I have all six files.

You need the jigdo program to get the actual data.  Jigdo and bittorrent work
somewhat similarly from a user perspective.  But since you have the .iso
already, you don't need to do this; jigdo is for fetching images.

You'll need to tell your CD burning software to burn an image to CD.

--
Paul Johnson
Jabber: Because it's time to move forward  http://ursine.ca/Ursine:Jabber