Re: Newbie trying to install Debian...

thierry schreef:
Dov Oxenberg wrote:
Today I tried using the suggested netinst method but for some reason it is not working for me. I downloaded the ISO file, and extracted the file with WinImage then burned the extracted files to a CD. When I boot with the CD in the drive nothing happens and the system just boots to Windows. I even tried burning the ISO file itself to CD and booting with that but still no joy. What am I missing here? I did notice after extracting the files contained in the ISO image the .bin files are in subdirectories...do I need to move these to the root of the CD I wish to boot from?

I guess you have Nero on your Windows system. So, dont extract the net install iso you downloaded. Use Nero to burn the iso directly unto the CD. It's too long ago a used Nero, so I can't tell you exactly how to do it, I guess there is something like "copying data to CD" that you have to use.

In Nero classic, it's File -> Burn Image

In Nero Express, you have to choose "Disc image or saved project".

Roel Schroeven