Re: smp kernels and xorg

On 5/12/06, Luis Fernando Llana Díaz <llana@sip.ucm.es> wrote:
Hello,
  I have just installed a new debian box (etch version). Everything runs
perfect until I have installed a smp kernel, I have tried 2.6.15-1-686-smp
and 2.6.16-1-smp. It has a hyperthreading (or something similar) pentium and
it seems that in order to take advantage of that feature I have to use such a
kernel.
  Well the problem is that after using the X environment (kde or gnome) the
computer freeze completely. It doesn't even answer to a ping.

I don't know how much help I can give, but I'll try.
You mention after using an X environment that the system freezes.
Does this mean that you can successfully boot the system, and Xorg starts?

Are you able to boot with a non-smp kernel successfully and not have
the system freeze?

Usually after you install a new kernel through apt-get or aptitude,
your boot loader will get updated to show the new kernel and the old
kernel. At least it does for grub.

I do not where to start to look for a solution,....

Luis.
--
http://antares.sip.ucm.es/~luis
In a world without walls, who needs windows