Re: Newbie trying to install Debian...

I'd recommend you use burnatonce: http://www.burnatonce.com/ to burn the iso to cd since it's free, small, and easy to use :-)

On 5/12/06, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
Dov Oxenberg wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Please pardon me if I appear amateurish but I am new to Linux (long
> time Windows user) and am trying to get Debian installed and running.
>
> Today I tried using the suggested netinst method but for some reason
> it is not working for me.  I downloaded the ISO file, and extracted
> the file with WinImage then burned the extracted files to a CD.

Wrong method of burning.

> I even tried burning the ISO file itself to CD and booting with that
> but still no joy.

Also wrong method of burning.

You'll need to tell your burning software to burn an "image" file to CD.
It's likely to be called different things by different burning apps, so
I can't help you any farther. As I recall, the built-in burning
capability of Windows XP itself can't handle burning CD images. If that
is the method you're using, you'll have to find a burning app that's a
bit more powerful.

--
Kent