Newbie trying to install Debian...

Hello,

Please pardon me if I appear amateurish but I am new to Linux (long time Windows user) and am trying to get Debian installed and running.

Today I tried using the suggested netinst method but for some reason it is not working for me.  I downloaded the ISO file, and extracted the file with WinImage then burned the extracted files to a CD.  When I boot with the CD in the drive nothing happens and the system just boots to Windows.  I even tried burning the ISO file itself to CD and booting with that but still no joy.  What am I missing here?
I did notice after extracting the files contained in the ISO image the .bin files are in subdirectories...do I need to move these to the root of the CD I wish to boot from?

I also am attempting to use the .jigdo method....but don't completely understand what I need to do once I have all six files.

Thanks for any help and guidance.

Cheers!