Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

On 2006-04-30, Roberto C. Sanchez penned:
> Christopher Nelson wrote:
>>
>> It could be, but a more salient question might be, would it be
>> applied to private schooling?  There are people I know who despite
>> the evidence they should, don't spend in retirement funds, etc.,
>> and probably would buy an extra case of beer instead of paying
>> their kid's tuition.
>>
> So what?  Repeat after me, "the government is not a babysitter."
> Now, repeat that until you believe it.  Seriously.  This is the same
> reason why I believe we should abolish social security.  Besides,
> there are people who now go out and buy lottery tickets or another
> case of beer, rather than food for their children.  IMHO, that is
> more reprehensible.  The point is, that people will be people, no
> matter what.

You're assuming there's no inherent benefit to having a well-educated
population.  This is not a point on which everyone agrees.  I agree
that people will be people, but I don't see why future generations
must suffer for it.  This is why I don't believe in seatbelt and
helmet laws for adults, but do believe in them for children.  Children
can't rescue themselves from these situations.

--
monique

Help us help you: