Re: etch: can no longer login (solved)

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 13:27:08 -0700
"David E. Fox" <dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com> wrote:

> Something seems to be broken in etch (I know the caveats regarding
> running etch vs. stable) but in the last day or so I've done an update
> and upgrade and something seems to be broken relative to 'su' and
> 'sudo' - I'm getting errors of the form:

OK, after some futzing I managed to track it down to pilot error(s). I
was compiling some new software and as a result of that needed to
add /usr/local/lib to my /etc/ld.so.conf file. But I managed to have
leftover cruft in that directory - much of it several years old, and
pam managed to pick up those libraries rather than the default Debian
ones.

In this case, strace was a useful tool; I could see it attempt to open
and access the wrong libraries. But one would think that the user
libraries (/lib & /usr/lib) would be searched first, overriding any
other entries.

Live & learn anyway - sorry for spamming the list :(.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.