Re: Social Contract

Erik Persson wrote:
> As stated earlier, the BSD-licence requires, among other things, that:
> 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
>     notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
>  2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
>     notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
>     documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

    But it does not require the code which uses it to be licensed under the
same scheme and released under the same.  If it were we'd not have the
arguments over bugs in Windows code as we'd be able to read it.  Remember,
Windows TCPIP stack uses BSD licensed code and they were nailed for not
producing the notice.  But it is still an open license in a closed product.
The requirement of giving credit is more about codifying good manners.  IE, if
you write a report and quote another source in your report you cite the
source.  Same thing here, just gussied up in new lingo since lawyers and
judges can't seem to apply law against similar concepts if the technology is
different without the new lingo.