Re: Social Contract

Andy Streich wrote:
> Just the other day I was watching a Senate
> hearing where a songwriter was saying she could not make a living without the
> copyright and IPR laws.  And I've wondered a long time about how the economy
> might have to change if there were no IPR.  The idea has appeal in so many
> ways, then you run smack into the wall of monetary incentives.

    They'd live the same way they do now.  Remember, IPLs are why the record
companies make money.  They songs are owned by the record companies, not the
artists.  Artists, big and small, make their money through live performances
which copyright IPL or the lack thereof does not alter as the audience is
going to watch the people perform their songs.

    Well, of course there's cover bands and lounge acts.  But by and large...  ;)

    No, I'm afraid IPL is pretty dumb to me.  I'm having a hard time grasping
why one of the activities in these lists are illegal and the rest are not.

Borrowing a book from a library.
Having a friend lend you a book they like.
Having a friend tell you the plot of a book they like.
Downloading a copy of the book.

Borrowing a CD from a library.
Having a friend lend you a CD they like.
Having a friend sing a song from a CD they like.
Downloading a copy of the CD.

Borrowing a video from a library.
Having a friend lend you a video they like.
Having a friend tell you the plot of a video they like.
Downloading a copy of the video.

    In each case the content producer gets paid once (Library, friend, etc)
and the intellectual property, the content, is distributed.  Yet three of the
four cases it is legal and has been encouraged for decades while the fourth,
the exact same activity, is illegal.

    The really sad thing?  Most authors would kill to have their books lent
out a few times from libraries/friends to build up a following.... and yet
don't want their books downloaded for fear of some kind of intellectual theft.
 *boggle*

    IPL and copyright in today's world have very little to do with protecting
individual's interests.  It is often used to strip individuals of their rights
(ala musical artists).