Re: Social Contract

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 12:32:11PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Christopher Nelson wrote:
> > Okay.  The DFSG are more supportive of developer's rights.
>
>     Again, not true.  How exactly is a developer who releases under a non-DSFG
> license somehow lower on the totem pole of rights?  Both protect the
> developer's rights.  Both describe exactly what is and is not allowed.  The
> only difference is what they restrict.

Okay maybe I should have said, 'developers other than those who
originally wrote the program'

Look at it this way.  With non-free software, what are your rights?  You
can use the software, and that's it.  You are not allowed to modify it to
suit your specific needs, nor are you allowed to freely distribute it.

With Free software, you have the right to modify, pass along code, fork,
distribute, and feed upstream.  The only restriction on those rights is
that with GPL and similiar you grant them to others.

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
"If you want to know what happens to you when you die, go look at some dead