Re: Social Contract

Christopher Nelson wrote:
> With Free software, you have the right to modify, pass along code, fork,
> distribute, and feed upstream.  The only restriction on those rights is
> that with GPL and similiar you grant them to others.

    And there's the rub, innit.  The only restriction means that you must
follow a certain set of rules and not deviate.  Doesn't that sound exactly
like a closed license.  You must follow the rules they set out and not deviate.

    Besides, free software isn't the GPL.  GPL is but one license and the most
restrictive.  If people are looking for truly free software and a license to
go with it I encourage them (Hi Mike!) to look at the BSD license.  Here's the
short form.  You use it, cite my copyright and name in your documentation.
Y'know, that doesn't seem so bad compared to "do what you want provided you do
exactly as I did."