Re: Social Contract

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 01:40:44PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Christopher Nelson wrote:
> > With Free software, you have the right to modify, pass along code, fork,
> > distribute, and feed upstream.  The only restriction on those rights is
> > that with GPL and similiar you grant them to others.
>
>     And there's the rub, innit.  The only restriction means that you must
> follow a certain set of rules and not deviate.  Doesn't that sound exactly
> like a closed license.  You must follow the rules they set out and not deviate.

I'm going to quit arguing here, since we're not going to agree and I'm
not a lawyer anyhow.

>     Besides, free software isn't the GPL.

I realise that, which is why I stipulated 'with GPL and similiar' as
opposed to 'with Free software'.

>  GPL is but one license and the most
> restrictive.  If people are looking for truly free software and a license to
> go with it I encourage them (Hi Mike!) to look at the BSD license.  Here's the
> short form.  You use it, cite my copyright and name in your documentation.
> Y'know, that doesn't seem so bad compared to "do what you want provided you do
> exactly as I did."

My biggest problem with BSD-style licenses is that someone can take your
work, use it, and then restrict other's access to their improvements.  When
I work for a company as a programmer, I'll have to live with it or choose
another field, but when I'll write something for the community I want it and
it's descendants to stay Free.

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
There are two types of people in this world, good and bad.  The good