Re: Social Contract

Greg Folkert wrote:
On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 14:55 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:

Steve Lamb wrote:

Mike McCarty wrote:

Johannes Wiedersich wrote:

I once couldn't read or view my old work after switching employer,
because I suddenly didn't have a licence for a certain program any
more and all work that was done with that program was more or less lost.

Umm, you never did have that license, then, and you used the software
in an unauthorized manner. In short, you used a pirate copy.

   Uh, no Mike, he was behind door number 3.  Legally using his employer's
license while employed and unable to do so once no longer employed with that
individual/company.

I understand the situation completely. You apparently do not.

If he created (as he said) his *own* files using those tools,
and not those of his employer, then he used a pirate copy.

I am morally certain that the EULA did not include a clause like
"You are permitted to let other people who do not have a license
use this software, for their own purposes, so long as you do not
charge them, and they also use this software for you for your own
purposes."

See my other message.

Okay, one question then... This is the same software and EULA, Libraries
and Internet Cafes use then for Microsoft Word and such?

Actually, I don't know. I'm presuming on the kind of EULA which
is involved.

Have you ever used this software at a library or internet Cafe... or for
that matter, have you ever stayed at a Hotel that had computers in the
room and had Software installed on them to use?

No. I don't do that.

I am going to have to report this piracy to Microsoft.

By all means, report me. I have no documents on any of my machines
created by any MicroSoft products for which I do not have a license.

Actually, Microsoft does the Licensing via per machine nowaday. So in
essence you are saying that employers should have ALL computers and
tools (out in the shop) and trucks and other such things 100% locked up
all the time.

Wow, you do have a real clear grasp on Life.

I have a clear grasp of what is licensed and what is not. If a
company pays for a license to use software for its own use,
and someone uses it for other use, then he has no gripe if he
can't take/use the files he creates as far as I can see.

To put it another way, the acts he committed (if they are as
he described) could get him prosecuted if he worked for, say,
a school system. It's called "misappropriation", and it's a
crime. In this case, since it's just a corporation (AFAIK)
then it is just a tort.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.