Re: Firestarter: how to auto start it?

--- Alexander Sack <asac@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 08:00:37PM -0700, lmyho wrote:
> >
> > But it didn't work, the firestarter still doesn't load when the system boot and
> jack
> > logedin.
> >
> > Then I changed the line in sudoers to: jack ALL=NOPASSWD:
> /etc/init.d/firestarter
> > start, and changed the line in GNOME Preferences->Sessions->Startup Programs to:
> > sudo /etc/init.d/firestarter start, too.
> >
> > But the firestarter still doesn't auto start at the system boot!
> >

> Maybe consider this:
>
> firestarter consists of two parts. The first is the gui which is used
> to administer iptables firewall rules. The second is the init script which
> takes care that your current firewall rules are loaded at system
> startup. Thus, though there is no gui running your firewall is
> still effective, so you probably don't need firestarter to be started
> automatically, but just if you want to change your firewall rules.

Do you mean even the firestarter (gui) did not been lauched on bootup, it actually
has been effectively working? --if so, that'll be what I wanted.  BUt how can I
check and make sure it's running?

> However, If you want the firestarter gui to automatically start, don't
> add the init.d/firestarter script to the GNOME session. This just loads the
> firewall rules, which almost certainly are already applied if the
> system has started up. Instead launch the firestarter gui by running
> the firestarter program aka /usr/sbin/firestarter in your gnome
> session. BTW, sudo is the wrong choice in any case. Consider using
> gksudo which will prompt you for your password if needed.

To use gksudo, do I still need to add the command line for the user in the sudoers
file?  If need, Should I add 'NOPASSWD: /etc/init.d/firestarter start' in sudoers
for this user, or add 'NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/firestarter', or just
'/usr/sbin/firestarter' for the user?

I would be very grateful for your inside knowledge guide.  I am still new to Debian,
really appreciate very much for any help!