Re: newbie gateway question

On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 17:38 +0100, Doofus wrote:
> Is ipcop still in development?
Yes, very much.  1.4 came out last year, and is currently at patchlevel
10.

>  I well remember the birth of the ipcop
> project - a direct result of all the sordid, nasty goings on in the
> smoothwall community. After the clinically insane Richard Morrell left
> smoothwall I thought there would be little point in continuing with
> ipcop,
Wel, very little seems to have happened in Smoothwall, from what I hear.
The people I've spoken to all abandoned it because silly bugs didn't get
fixed.

>  which at that time was in its infancy and still largely built on
> smoothwall code.
As far as I know it's now almost entirely a new codebase, based on lfs
(as opposed to Red Hat, I think).

IP-COP has a few shortcomings, which Endian try to improve on.  Like
adding some content filtering and virus/spyware scanning to the proxy,
adding other proxies (mail, sip, etc.).  On the flipside, it lacks some
functionality, like IP-COP's ability to have multiple dial-up accounts
configured ("dial-up" meaning anything using pppd, so analog modem, ISDN
and DSL), and, on top of that being able to fall back on one account,
should the other fail to connect.

Then again, both have shortcomings, and I would love to see a
quick-to-install system like IP-COP that does proper bandwith usage
reporting.  I want to be able to see exactly how much traffic went
through the internet line per day, per connection, per user (and any
combination of the aforementioned), who is using a lot of band with
*right now* and a breakdown of protocols - how much traffic is mail, how
much is web, how much is p2p, and in both directions.

I'm sure this all is possible if I roll a straightforward debian
installation and build on top of that, but it's a lot of time and
effort.

Hans