Re: Firestarter: how to auto start it?

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 08:00:37PM -0700, lmyho wrote:

> But it didn't work, the firestarter still doesn't load when the system boot and jack
> logedin.
>
> Then I changed the line in sudoers to: jack ALL=NOPASSWD: /etc/init.d/firestarter
> start, and changed the line in GNOME Preferences->Sessions->Startup Programs to:
> sudo /etc/init.d/firestarter start, too.
>
> But the firestarter still doesn't auto start at the system boot!

Maybe consider this:

firestarter consists of two parts. The first is the gui which is used
to administer iptables firewall rules. The second is the init script which
takes care that your current firewall rules are loaded at system
startup. Thus, though there is no gui running your firewall is
still effective, so you probably don't need firestarter to be started
automatically, but just if you want to change your firewall rules.

However, If you want the firestarter gui to automatically start, don't
add the init.d/firestarter script to the GNOME session. This just loads the
firewall rules, which almost certainly are already applied if the
system has started up. Instead launch the firestarter gui by running
the firestarter program aka /usr/sbin/firestarter in your gnome
session. BTW, sudo is the wrong choice in any case. Consider using
gksudo which will prompt you for your password if needed.

Hope this helps.

 - Alexander
--
 GPG messages preferred.    |  .''`.  ** Debian GNU/Linux **
 Alexander Sack             | : :' :      The  universal