Re: afraid to upgrade libc6 and libc6-dev

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 10:31:23AM -0500, Sumo Wrestler (or just ate too much) wrote:
> I'm using Sarge.
>
> I just did an "aptitude update," and now when I attempt to upgrade,
> aptitude says that it wants to upgrade libc6 and libc6-dev.
>
> I know that those are pretty critical to the functioning of the system,
> so I've temporarily put them on hold, and I'm not upgrading yet.

Reasonable thought.

> My question is "why are libc6 and libc6-dev being upgraded?" I didn't
> see anything on the http://www.debian.org/security/ site suggesting that
> libc6 needed to be upgraded,

I just checked and you're correct, it's not there.

> and I didn't change my sources.list.

And as I see below it all points to sarge.

> This is "stable." Things aren't upgraded unless it's a security concern
> (or so I thought).

Usually you're correct.  It might also be that those upgrades are
required for another security upgrade.  I don't have a sarge box running
here to check.

> I'm scared to upgrade because I don't want a non-functional system,

If it's made it's way into sarge it shouldn't break your system, but if
you wait a day or two any problems should either pop up here or on
bugs.debian.org

> and
> I don't want Etch or Sid.

Very reasonable.

> Here is my sources.list:
> #deb file:///cdrom/ sarge main
>
> deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r1 _Sarge_ - Official i386 Binary-2
> (20051218)]/ unstable contrib main
> deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r1 _Sarge_ - Official i386 Binary-1
> (20051218)]/ unstable contrib main
>

> # deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib
> deb http://security.debian.org/ sarge/updates main contrib non-free
> deb ftp://debian.uchicago.edu/debian/ stable main contrib non-free

So everything points to sarge.  What version of libc6 does it want to
install?  You can check packages.debian.org to see if it's the version
in stable or not.

> PS.
> It wants to upgrade perl too, and I've also put those packages on hold.

Again if it's the stable version, it should be good to install.  You can
check on packages.debian.org

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
I saw what you did and I know who you are.