Re: afraid to upgrade libc6 and libc6-dev

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 10:31:23AM -0500, Sumo Wrestler (or just ate too much) wrote:
> I'm using Sarge.
> I just did an "aptitude update," and now when I attempt to upgrade,
> aptitude says that it wants to upgrade libc6 and libc6-dev.
> I know that those are pretty critical to the functioning of the system,
> so I've temporarily put them on hold, and I'm not upgrading yet.

Reasonable thought.
> My question is "why are libc6 and libc6-dev being upgraded?" I didn't
> see anything on the http://www.debian.org/security/ site suggesting that
> libc6 needed to be upgraded,

I just checked and you're correct, it's not there.

> and I didn't change my sources.list.

And as I see below it all points to sarge.

> This is "stable." Things aren't upgraded unless it's a security concern
> (or so I thought).

Usually you're correct.  It might also be that those upgrades are
required for another security upgrade.  I don't have a sarge box running
here to check.

> I'm scared to upgrade because I don't want a non-functional system,

If it's made it's way into sarge it shouldn't break your system, but if
you wait a day or two any problems should either pop up here or on

> and
> I don't want Etch or Sid.

Very reasonable.

> Here is my sources.list:
> #deb file:///cdrom/ sarge main
> deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r1 _Sarge_ - Official i386 Binary-2
> (20051218)]/ unstable contrib main
> deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r1 _Sarge_ - Official i386 Binary-1
> (20051218)]/ unstable contrib main
> # deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib
> deb http://security.debian.org/ sarge/updates main contrib non-free
> deb ftp://debian.uchicago.edu/debian/ stable main contrib non-free

So everything points to sarge.  What version of libc6 does it want to
install?  You can check packages.debian.org to see if it's the version
in stable or not.
> PS.
> It wants to upgrade perl too, and I've also put those packages on hold.

Again if it's the stable version, it should be good to install.  You can
check on packages.debian.org

Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
I saw what you did and I know who you are.