Re: distributions: UBUNTU vs DEBIAN

Christopher Nelson wrote:
> Did you buy it knowing you were going to use it under linux?  If so,
> it's you problem.  If not, the answer's simple--don't give them any more
> money and tell us, so we don't give them money until they rectify the
> situation.

    I bought it based on recommendations *on this very list* as well as
pointers *from this list* to sites that recommended it.

> No, but the driver and module source are in non-free, and this page:
> http://xoomer.virgilio.it/flavio.stanchina/debian/fglrx-installer.html#install
> lists 4 seperate ways to build the module, none of which seem difficult.
> Sub kernel-source for linux-headers and it should all work smoothly.

    That's the page I was referring to.  "none of which seem difficult" tells
me you've never done it.  Thank you for proving me right.

> They do address their userbase--the people who want to follow the social
> contract.  They also allow the most common 'non-free' things to be done
> easily.  What more do you want?

    A little more pragmatism and a little less haughty zealotry.