Re: distributions: UBUNTU vs DEBIAN

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 10:08:12PM -0600, Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> On 2006-04-22, Steve Lamb penned:
> >
> >     Funny, the #1 point for most people is apt, not the social
> >     contract.  #1 for *you* maybe.
>
> Who are these most people, and why should it matter to the developers
> what "most people" want when they're not paying customers?

Hi Monique,
propietary software developers are paid to make the company profitable
and this is done when users buy the software. If the users dont buy the
software, the company finds out why and asks the developers to fix
things that will make the users buy the software. This is not a complete
model as users do not get a direct say but things like photoshop or
quicken seem to get high praise from users after every new release.

In this context, free software user can never buy the software from a
company because their is no company and their is no legal monetary
contact between Debian and its developers and thus no one can make the
free software developers do anything. The free software model does allow
a free market whereby any other developer can be paid or convinced to do
what you want.

But it seems the free software developers are usually simply 'scratching
their itch' to their satisfaction and others may or may not like the
result.  And the average users is more or less powerless to force the
free software developer to listen to them sans forking over money and
the developers accepting a contract to do what they want. There are
other reasons free software developers listen to users including their
commitment to social and moral principals and issues but it does not
guarentee the same result as in a commercial setting. Obviously one
difference is that propietary software developers use restrictive
licenses.
cheers,
Kev