Re: distributions: UBUNTU vs DEBIAN

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 02:30:34PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:
> > First, there isn't an Ethernet card Linux can't find these days, so that's
> > kind of an empty argument.
>
>     Bull, Paul.  Want me to mail you the one that's useless for me since it
> wasn't detected and the documentation to get it going was beyond confusing?
> It's best use right now is a paper weight.

Did you buy it knowing you were going to use it under linux?  If so,
it's you problem.  If not, the answer's simple--don't give them any more
money and tell us, so we don't give them money until they rectify the
situation.

> > Second, so you go spend five minutes on nvidia.com downloading the drivers,
> > and another five to install them.  Big fat hairy deal.  If you're so pent up
> > about it, why not go make your own apt-source and slap it into your own
> > unofficial/non-free?
>
>     *looks at the ATI card in his machine*
>
>     What good will those nVidia drivers do me?

Okay.  :%s/nvidia/ati/g

> Have you built the ATI drivers
> from scratch?

No, but the driver and module source are in non-free, and this page:
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/flavio.stanchina/debian/fglrx-installer.html#install
lists 4 seperate ways to build the module, none of which seem difficult.
Sub kernel-source for linux-headers and it should all work smoothly.

> If you're saying 5 minutes I'm betting you're talking out your
> posterior if you claim you have.  It wasn't even 5 minutes the first time I
> did it *following a well written, step-by-step guide on the web!*  It was more
> like an hour.  Subsequent installs when I knew the basic process droped to,
> maybe... 30 minutes.

It seems you're doing something wrong then.  It should take about 5
commands, and take less than 7 minutes (I just did it while writing this
email).  However, you can't be using xorg 7 as fglrx-driver currently
depends on <6.9.99 -- but that'll be cleared up quickly.  Two commands
after it's built--one 'dpkg -i', one 'modprobe'.

>     Same drivers installed on Mepis, one mouseclick, not even 5 minutes.  And
> Mepis is Debian based so there's nothing there that Debian couldn't do if it
> wanted to be more than a badge of pride and actually attempt to address the
> userbase every once and a while.

They do address their userbase--the people who want to follow the social
contract.  They also allow the most common 'non-free' things to be done
easily.  What more do you want?

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
Did YOU find a DIGITAL WATCH in YOUR box of VELVEETA?