Re: distributions: UBUNTU vs DEBIAN

Paul Johnson wrote:
> First, there isn't an Ethernet card Linux can't find these days, so that's
> kind of an empty argument.

    Bull, Paul.  Want me to mail you the one that's useless for me since it
wasn't detected and the documentation to get it going was beyond confusing?
It's best use right now is a paper weight.

> Second, so you go spend five minutes on nvidia.com downloading the drivers,
> and another five to install them.  Big fat hairy deal.  If you're so pent up
> about it, why not go make your own apt-source and slap it into your own
> unofficial/non-free?

    *looks at the ATI card in his machine*

    What good will those nVidia drivers do me?  Have you built the ATI drivers
from scratch?  If you're saying 5 minutes I'm betting you're talking out your
posterior if you claim you have.  It wasn't even 5 minutes the first time I
did it *following a well written, step-by-step guide on the web!*  It was more
like an hour.  Subsequent installs when I knew the basic process droped to,
maybe... 30 minutes.

    Same drivers installed on Mepis, one mouseclick, not even 5 minutes.  And
Mepis is Debian based so there's nothing there that Debian couldn't do if it
wanted to be more than a badge of pride and actually attempt to address the
userbase every once and a while.