Re: Supported Video Cards under Free Software (was: Re: Best Video Card)

On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 12:01 -0400, Manaen Schlabach wrote:
> On 4/21/06, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 03:37 -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> > > On Apr 19 2006, Ron Johnson wrote:
[snip]

> It seems like everyone agrees that Video card manufacturers really
> don't want to give up their 3d stuff and that seems to be the primary
> reason we can't get a "good" open source driver.  Ideally some video
> card manufacturer could be convinced to allow a full driver (to
> include the 3d stuff) to be written by the open source community.

Intel recently issued a press release saying they were going to do
just that.  Unfortunately, their video chips are all embedded in
their chipsets.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"What has a tiny brain, a big mouth, and an opinion nobody cares
about? You!"
from Murphy Brown