Re: Supported Video Cards under Free Software (was: Re: Best Video Card)

On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 17:27 -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 April 2006 17:08, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 16:53 -0700, Xplicit Language wrote:
> > > i have found a video driver on intel 82810 onboard video on they're
> > > site at www.intel.com in the downloads and support section, i couldn't
> > > get it to install since i am new to linux, but it was there.
> >
> > When Intel makes "stand-alone" video cards, they'll get more notice
> > from those of us who don't want on-board video.
>
> But they do.  I distinctly remember installing about a hundred Intel
> i880-based Intel video cards circa 1998.

"Do" or "did"?  ISTR i740 cards, which flopped.

Still, if they come out with reasonably priced cards that can do
3D like an NVIDIA FX 5200 using the nvidia binary driver, I'd
strongly think about buying one the next time I need one.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Though force can protect in emergency, only justice, fairness,
consideration and cooperation can finally lead men to the dawn of
eternal peace."
Dwight D Eisenhower