Re: Supported Video Cards under Free Software (was: Re: Best Video Card)

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 03:37 -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> On Apr 19 2006, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Still, if they come out with reasonably priced cards that can do
> > 3D like an NVIDIA FX 5200 using the nvidia binary driver, I'd
>
> How exactly is the performance of such a beast? I have never had the
> opportunity of using a binary driver for video, since I don't need 3D
> and my trusty, old Matrox card is keeping up with my necessities.
>
> But I'm frequently asked (by friends) to recommend hardware that would
> run Linux well and, well, the topic of video cards is where I get most
> undecided...
>
> Thanks for any experiences shared, Rogério.

Back when I had an NVIDIA TNT2/M64, I installed the nvidia binary
driver, and 3D games flew (relative to my needs, of course).  I'm
sure that using the nvidia driver the now-equally-trailing edge FX
5200 would perform even better.  Obviously, the newer cards would
perform even better.

I recommend nvidia cards to anyone who wants to run Linux, because
it have the very good 2D nv driver, and the 3D nvidia driver.  Note
that NVIDIA has a common code-base between the Windows and Linux
drivers, and releases a new version of it every few months.  That
says a lot about their commitment to the Linux market.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Universal peace sounds ridiculous to the head of an average
family."
Kin Hubbard