Re: distributions: UBUNTU vs DEBIAN

On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 11:14 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
[snip]

> > I don't even understand this paragraph.
>
>     1% = total Linux install.

I'd say 5%, but that's just a quibble.

>     Subset of 1% = Debian's cut of the above.

More like 20%.

>     IE, if Debian users have some dillusions of the power they currently wield
> with hardware vendors they really need to be disabused of that notion.
> Increase the Linux install base to 10% which would put Debian's install base
> about on par with Mac OSX now and you might see hardware vendors giving a
> crap.  Until then Debian is doing itself no favors my being obstructionist and
> driving people away based on it's own restrictive use clauses.

Oracle seems to be waking up to Debian.  You can now install Oracle
10g Express.

deb http://oss.oracle.com/debian unstable main non-free

ii  oracle-xe         10.2.0.1-1.0  Oracle Database 10g Express Western European Edition
ii  oracle-xe-client  10.2.0.1-1.1  Oracle Client 10g Express Edition

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

All of the "reporting" about Laci Peterson & Michael Jackson
reminds me of the Don Henley song "Dirty Laundry": "Can we do the
operation? Is the head dead yet? You know, the boys in the
newsroom got a running bet. Get the widow on the set, we need
dirty laundry."