Re: Supported Video Cards under Free Software (was: Re: Best Video Card)

On 4/21/06, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 03:37 -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:
> > On Apr 19 2006, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > > Still, if they come out with reasonably priced cards that can do
> > > 3D like an NVIDIA FX 5200 using the nvidia binary driver, I'd
> >
> > How exactly is the performance of such a beast? I have never had the
> > opportunity of using a binary driver for video, since I don't need 3D
> > and my trusty, old Matrox card is keeping up with my necessities.
> >
> > But I'm frequently asked (by friends) to recommend hardware that would
> > run Linux well and, well, the topic of video cards is where I get most
> > undecided...
> >
> > Thanks for any experiences shared, Rogério.
>
> Back when I had an NVIDIA TNT2/M64, I installed the nvidia binary
> driver, and 3D games flew (relative to my needs, of course).  I'm
> sure that using the nvidia driver the now-equally-trailing edge FX
> 5200 would perform even better.  Obviously, the newer cards would
> perform even better.
>
> I recommend nvidia cards to anyone who wants to run Linux, because
> it have the very good 2D nv driver, and the 3D nvidia driver.  Note
> that NVIDIA has a common code-base between the Windows and Linux
> drivers, and releases a new version of it every few months.  That
> says a lot about their commitment to the Linux market.
>
> --
> Ron Johnson, Jr.
> Jefferson, LA USA
>
> "Universal peace sounds ridiculous to the head of an average
> family."
> Kin Hubbard

It seems like everyone agrees that Video card manufacturers really
don't want to give up their 3d stuff and that seems to be the primary
reason we can't get a "good" open source driver.  Ideally some video
card manufacturer could be convinced to allow a full driver (to
include the 3d stuff) to be written by the open source community.

If that isn't possible couldn't there be a set of Object Oriented/open
3d standards?  You put x into the card and y will pop out.  This would
let video card manufacturers move their trade secrets onto the actual
video card chips and no one gets to see the magic of how certain
things get implemented.  They of course couldn't afford to release 3d
drivers that are nearly as buggy as the ones they release now if
corrections have to be "flashed" onto the video card.  Would something
like this be feasible or is it an unattainable dream that is beyond
technology or might require too many people to play nice together?