Re: OT: Re: Why do people in the UK put a u in the word color?

Paul Johnson wrote:
On Wednesday 19 April 2006 09:33, Mike McCarty wrote:

Paul Johnson wrote:

Nope, it's Jägermeister.  It's one of my favorite drinks.

Pardon, but in this context the appropriate form is to expand
the umlaut. It is inappropriate to put characters like that
into a text-only message.

There isn't anything non-ISO about "ä", including it in a message doesn't make it "not text only". The "ae" is a poorman form of "æ".

In any case, the articulation of the english /j/ and the german
/j/ is not the same.

It has more of a /y/ sound in German, no?

That's difficult to say. I dunno what you mean by "more
of a /y/ sound".

The phoneme /y/ occurs in German, but it sounds nothing
to my ears like /j/ in either language.

The german /j/ is articulated more forcefully than the
english /j/, and with the tip of the tongue pointed down
rather than up, as in English. It is also more aspirated
in German.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.