Re: Grub + CD-ROM

On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 16:54 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Is the boot order correct? IOW, is the CDROM placed before other
> boot devices?

Yes.

> If it is, then I suspect you have a hardware problem, which will not
> be fixed by putting GRUB on a CDROM.

I considered it, but I doubt, because:
1.  It's a new notebook, and the drive works perfectly otherwise.
2.  If I start up vmware, the virtual machine can boot off the CD-ROM.
Which tells me the CD-ROM *can* boot a disc, something else is messing
with it.  I have a suspicion (this may sound whacky) that it is the
memory.  I added a gig dimm - corsair valueselect.  I had quite a bit of
problems with my wireless untill I removed the original 512mb HP dimm.
Unfortunately I've sold the 512mb dimm so I can't swap them back to see
if that is in fact the problem.

The reason why I think this is possible, is because HP was a bit mean
with this particular notebook.  They locked the BIOS to only accept
certain wireless cards.  I wanted to replace the broadcom with something
that's better supported, so I bought an intel 2200 mini-pci card (HP
branded even!).  Upon switching on the notebook after installing the
card, I simply got a post message saying "Unsupported wireless device
detected" and the notebook wouldn't even boot.  Apparently I had the
wrong part number.

Anyway, considering that, I think it's quite possible that the BIOS sees
the notebook has "unsupported" memory in, and simply doesn't pass the
boot call to the CD-ROM.

The fact that vmware can boot off the CD-ROM, gives me hope that I might
be able to make some boot manager call the CD-ROM. I just don't know
what.  I just don't want to have to buy expensive HP branded memory just
to look at a live-cd...

Thanks
Hans