Grub + CD-ROM

Hi guys,

I have a curious problem whereby my notebook won't boot off a CD-ROM.
Now I'm trying to find a way to get around this.

I have, on another PC, in my GRUB config, this:

chainloader (fd0)+1

which is convenient because if I want to test something on a stiffy I
don't have to change my BIOS settings.  If I adapt this somewhat:

chainloader (hd1)+1

(hd0 is the hard disc) GRUB tells me "Error 21: Selected disc does not
exist."

Is there a way to make GRUB see the CD-ROM as a boot device?

I've also tried sbootmgr (that comes on the Slackware CDs) on a USB
disc, and it loads, but then my keyboard is dead - otherwise it would
have been perfect.

Thanks
Hans