Re: Grub + CD-ROM

Hans du Plooy wrote:
On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 11:12 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:

This is very vague. Did this machine ever boot off of CDROM?
Some machines have a BIOS option which can be set.
Does it have a floppy disc drive? If so, and your BIOS
does not have an option to boot like that, then you
might try the Smart Boot Manager.

My apologies.  I'll try to be clearer.

No problem.

Yes, the notebook did indeed boot off CD-ROM before - 'tis how I got
linux installed to start with :-)  It has the bios switch, and it is set
to boot off CD-ROM, but it doesn't - it behaves like the drive is empty.

Is the boot order correct? IOW, is the CDROM placed before other
boot devices?

If it is, then I suspect you have a hardware problem, which will not
be fixed by putting GRUB on a CDROM.

It doesn't have a stiffy drive, but it does have boot from USB options.
I have put the smart boot manager on a USB flash drive, but that doesn't
work either.

It may be that, until you replace your CDROM drive, you will not be
able to use it.

Hence my thoughts of having GRUB call the CD-ROM.

Good luck!

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.