Re: a question on motherboard replacement - audio problem

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 18:57:47 -0500
nunoauboulot@netscape.net wrote:

> >(...) google on asound.rc and dmixer for info on that if you want.
> I did and didn't find anything helpful...
>
> >THe lack of mixing for oss will prevent other apps from getting sound
> while gnome is running.
> I don't get this "lack of mixing for oss" since I configured alsa to
> take over the sound...
>
> >> I rebooted the computer and it did not seem to work as the sound
> events
> >> of Gnome were played with distortion again.
>
> >I think your distortion may be some other problem. sorry no ideas
> there,
> >unless you've got one channel turned all the way up maybe.
> The thing here is that when I run alsaconf, I get nice sound for some
> applications and no sound at all for Gnome events.
> After closing a Gnome session or rebooting the computer, this alsaconf
> results seems to be lost as I get to the starting point (i.e. distorted
> sound for Gnome events and no sound for other applications).
> In other words, the work of alsaconf seem to be lost after a Gnome
> session termination or a computer reboot.
> (I mentioned that in the start).
>
> >can you get soudn with a player like aplay? with gnome running and a
> terminal
> >open, can you run aplay <somesoudnfile>.[wav|mp3|etc], what happens?
> See above

So I had to do some testing and I found, that though I thought I had OSS set up right, apparently I didn't (still don't). Incidentally, alsa version >1.0.9rc2 is supposed to use the dmix plugin automatically, so there should be the sorts of issues. well, okay, its not working for me. If I pull up xmms and set it to use oss, then it takes over the sound and nothing else will work -- alsaplayer reports that it can't get the device and just uses the null plugin. something isn't right. I think you need to make sure you've got no other sound apps running and see if you get your gnome sounds then.