Re: a question on motherboard replacement - audio problem

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:50:24 +0000
Wackojacko <wackojacko32@ntlworld.com> wrote:

[...]

reinstalling the system is windows mentality. You shouldn't ever have to reinstall unless you've totally b0rked your disk somehow. (something like rm -rf / would be a likely candidate for reinstall...). If you're getting sound out of the machine at all, then its just a matter of getting it configured properly.
are you running any of the sound daemons like esd ?

[...]

I will go no further with this topic. But I have one final coment.
Maybe it's windows mentality and, to be honest, I don't care much about windows and despise it.
But there's another mentality too, the pragmatic one...
See how long I took so far with this issue, whereas I take about 10 minutes to backup my things, another 20 minutes to install Debian and another 5 minutes to run a post-installation script I did to speed up the process of installing all Internet plugins, configure the look-and-feel that I like, and install the packages that I had before, including there a few extra repositories (e.g. Marillat's and Skype). The focal point here is that, as I mentioned, I changed one (or maybe more) piece(s) of hardware, I provided all details I considered relevant and also I provided other details that were requested, explained my problem with details and obtained just one response that helped me (i.e., to use "alsactl store"). Other responses were too vague, such as "I don't use Gnome", or "google around this or that". Well, if I ask something about Gnome, I should expect help about Gnome. And, if I came to this list, is because I exhausted my research with Googles, Wikis, and similars. Yet, I got another answer asking me to do somthing that I did before and acknowledged that worked (alsaconf store). So, people who are willing to help others, apparently don't understand what's written or don't have patience to read all details provided. And I'm not going to say what kind of mentality is that because it's pretty obvious. I wish I could learn more on how to adjust this but I can seem to get proper help here... or, if you prefer, yes, I might not know how to ask for help properly.
I reinstalled everything and it's working fine now.

Thanks for your attention.
Try the New Netscape Mail Today!
http://mail.netscape.com