Re: SATA drive probs: Knoppix OK, but nothing else

Jacob S wrote:

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 06:19:58 -0600
Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:

Jacob S wrote:

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:01:02 -0600
Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:

Jacob S wrote:
<snip>

Mount / as in the new root that you said you just installed but
can't get to boot. Don't forget to also mount /boot if it's not on
the / partition.

The rationale for the chroot before running lilo is that it works
better, in my experience. Knoppix is usually a bit newer than Debian
Stable which can cause some compatability problems, and you already
mentioned that the lilo in Knoppix was giving you errors. After
doing a chroot, any commands you run (including lilo) would be
running the Sarge version that you just installed, rather than
Knoppix's version.
I tried that, and close but still no sigar...

modprobe dm_mod is OK.

Then I mount /mnt/hdc5 where the Sarge partition is, and
chroot /mnt/hdc5.

When I run sudo /sbin/lilo -v 5 I get:

sudo: unable to lookup Knoppix via gethostbyname()
LILO version 22.6.1, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
Development beyond version 21 Copyright (C) 1999-2004 John Coffman
Released 17-Nov-2004, and compiled at 12:32:32 on May 25 2005
Debian GNU/Linux

raid_setup: dev=1605  rdev=0300
raid_setup returns offset = 00000000  ndisk = 0
  BIOS   VolumeID   Device
Reading boot sector from /dev/hda
Fatal: open /dev/hda: Permission denied

I set the permisions on /dev/hda to:

brw-rw-rw-  1 root disk 3, 0 Feb 26  2005 /dev/hda

Did you change these permissions for /dev/hda in Knoppix, or in the
chroot? I suspect the permissions problem is from Knoppix, not your
chroot.
But the error remained.
How do I get past those permissions?
Thanks for your help.

For grins, what happens if you su to root before you chroot? Knoppix
will let you su without a password, from what I recall. I tend to use
root for my admin. tasks, such as running lilo, so I'm not very
familiar with how it would work when run from sudo. I know sudo is
supposed to allow temporary (and limited) root privileges, but
obviously it's not giving full root in this case.

Too bad, it's all for naught :-(
I googled for the error and got a hit with a suggestion to mount the chrooted partition not with plain mount through fstab but with the complete command:

mount -t ext2 /dev/hdc5 /mnt/hdc5

Then:

su
chroot /mnt/hdc5
su
lilo

and lilo runs normally.

But... booting the partition produces the same 9999999's
So it is something else that lilo is not doing.