Re: SATA drive probs: Knoppix OK, but nothing else

Jacob S wrote:

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:01:02 -0600
Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:

Jacob S wrote:

On Thursday 16 March 2006 05:24, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

<snip - problems booting new installation from SATA drive>

<snip> I would try a "modprobe
dm_mod" in Knoppix, then mount /, with /boot mounted inside of it,
if they are on different partitions. Now chroot into / and run the
installed copy of lilo. This usually works for me, even if it spits
a warning or two.

Jacob, let me go over your suggestion: boot the knoppix CD and
modprobe dm_mod, then mount /, meaning the partition that I usually
run from? And then chroot into that mounted partition and run the
lilo that I normally run?

Mount / as in the new root that you said you just installed but can't
get to boot. Don't forget to also mount /boot if it's not on the /
partition.

The rationale for the chroot before running lilo is that it works
better, in my experience. Knoppix is usually a bit newer than Debian
Stable which can cause some compatability problems, and you already
mentioned that the lilo in Knoppix was giving you errors. After doing a
chroot, any commands you run (including lilo) would be running the
Sarge version that you just installed, rather than Knoppix's version.

I tried that, and close but still no sigar...

modprobe dm_mod is OK.

Then I mount /mnt/hdc5 where the Sarge partition is, and chroot /mnt/hdc5.

When I run sudo /sbin/lilo -v 5 I get:

sudo: unable to lookup Knoppix via gethostbyname()
LILO version 22.6.1, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
Development beyond version 21 Copyright (C) 1999-2004 John Coffman
Released 17-Nov-2004, and compiled at 12:32:32 on May 25 2005
Debian GNU/Linux

raid_setup: dev=1605  rdev=0300
raid_setup returns offset = 00000000  ndisk = 0
 BIOS   VolumeID   Device
Reading boot sector from /dev/hda
Fatal: open /dev/hda: Permission denied

I set the permisions on /dev/hda to:

brw-rw-rw-  1 root disk 3, 0 Feb 26  2005 /dev/hda

But the error remained.
How do I get past those permissions?
Thanks for your help.