prefered kernel configuration?

Hello,

I have a simple question: I'm using an AMD Sempron machine, and I build my own kernels; I'm currently using the 386 configuration in the linux kernel, as I didn't know what option would be best to choose... What is actually the best option for best performance? I was wondering whether 686 had pentium-specific optimizations which is why I didn't choose that one I'd also be very thankful if somebody could give some links to sites discussion what options to use best in general (for other similar configuration questions)

Thanks :-)

Joris